Tuesday, February 06, 2007

A Day In The Park

When I was little, I fell off my bike and hurt my knee really bad. I was in the backyard so I had to limp back to the door. When I opened the door, my mother was in the kitchen watching TV. I barely opened my mouth when my mother dropped everything and ran over to me to pick me up. She was acting as if I was near death. She carried me to the bathroom and used her magic to sooth all my pains away. Within a few hours, it felt as if I never got in the accident.

Today, I saw a little girl riding a bike in the park. Somehow her pants got stuck in the wheel and pulled her leg in. She was crying loud. Blood was starting to slide down her leg. I wondered where the mother was. The little girl would not move. Nobody would move, not even me. I was waiting for her mother, like my mother, to rush to her aid and help her, but nobody came. As I walked over to the little girl, a woman started walking towards her too. The woman was angry as if why is the little girl crying. The woman must of been her mother. She grabbed her crying daughter by the arm and dragged her to the bench. She pulled a napkin out of her pocketbook and gave it to her daughter to wipe the blood off her own leg. People were staring at the mother. I was wondering how can a mother be so angry at a little girl for accidentally hurting herself? The daughter wouldn't budge. The woman eventually had to wipe the blood off herself. The daughter was obviously scared of her own mother. Just the site of the daughter's terrifying eyes looking back at the mother as if she was the rabid beast out to get her.

I never walked over to the mother to confront her because it was none of my business and for the simple fact that the mother was already angry will get angrier at me and put her anger back on her daughter.

The whole situation bothers me. I'm sure that the mother treats the daughter just as bad at home. What can I do? I want to call Social Services but I'm sure they get the calls everyday about the same situation and do nothing. Why have kids if you are going to abuse them like that? Now the little girl will grow up hating her mother and have low self esteem and live a bad life because she was never loved. I'm glad I can remember a good flashback of my mother helping me when I fell off my bike.

2 comments:

Kate Michele said...

If you have a name or a plate number they do look into it...the look into all the calls.

My sister in law fosters....its amazing what goes on out there.

Beyond Me said...

i should've done that